Toenail falling Off: What should I do?Have you ever faced the miserable condition and wondered in dismay why is your toenail falling off? Probably you have developed a toenail infection and you are not alone in this misery. It is usually a result of fungal infection or a traumatic injury and in the medical terminology we call it Onychomycosis. You cannot flaunt your feet although they are beautifully shaped. It is quite understandable that you are upset and disturbed with your loss of toenail. In case you are wondering what exactly is causing such a serious problem and how to tackle it, this article is the answer to all your queries.
There are mainly two reasons behind your toenail falling off- injury and infection. Due to some diseases or disorders in your body, you might also face the problem of toenail loss. The following are some of the common factors responsible for toenail falling.
- Long term exposure to moisture or nail paints can cause your nails to peel and become brittle.
- Any major injury can crush your nail bed and even cause permanent deformity.
- Rubbing or chronic picking of skin around the toenail.
- Bacterial infection causes change in your nail color accompanied with pain. It might result in nail loss if there is a severe infection.
- Fungus or yeast also alters the shape, size and color of your toenail, leading ultimately to the fall of nails.
- Viral warts change the shape of the nail or the ingrown skin under the nail.
- Disease related to your liver can damage nails.
- Kidney disease can cause a build-up of nitrogen waste products in your blood, which can damage nails.
- Suffering from the skin condition known as psoriasis or if you have athlete’s foot.
- In case you are a thyroid patient there is every possibility that you will suffer from brittle nails.
- If you suffer from diabetes and blood circulation disorders.
- Having a weak immune system.
- Sometimes you might suffer from falling toenails if you had a surgery or any severe illness.
- Deficiency of vitamin can also lead to toenail falling off.
- Skin cancer, for instance, melanoma near the nails is one of the factors that can distort your toenails.
- Aging is one of the main factors as it leads to diminishing blood circulation and with aging your nails become thicker. Therefore, more vulnerable to such infections and thereby falling of toenails.
- Arsenic poisoning.
- There are certain antibiotics that can cause the lifting of the nail from the nail bed.
- Chemotherapy also affects your nail
Symptoms of toenail loss
The probable symptoms are:
- Pain and swelling
- Collection of blood under your nail.
- Loss of natural color.
- Bleeding, and
- Toenail Falling off.
These five mentioned symptoms are mostly visible in case you have some injury.
The symptoms vary if you have an infection.
- The very first thing that happens is the thickening of the toenail.
- Your nail color changes to Yellow, Brown and Green or shows a cloudy appearance.
- Swelling along with pain.
- Foul odor.
- Redness around the surrounding tissue.
- Some liquid discharge.
Prevention is better than cure:
Most of us don’t give much attention to our toes apart from occasional pedicure, cutting nails and massage. Thus, it is an awful experience when you injure your nail bed leading to infection and finally loss of nails. These are some of the tips that will prevent the loss of your toenail.
- Practice proper hygiene on a daily basis.
- Completely dry your feet after washing or if it comes in contact with water.
- Clean your socks and shoes daily.
- Wear shoes and shocks made of breathable materials.
- Never try to rip off your partially torn nail.
- At the very first sign of breakage, bandage your toe or you can also seek medical attention.
- Trim your toenails.
- Your shoes must be ½ inches longer than your longest toe finger.
- Be cautious when you are engaged in any sports activity.
- Don’t go barefoot in public places.
- Take extra care of your toenail during the healing process.
Treatment for toenail loss
Though there are medicines and other topical treatment available for toenail loss, home remedies are still popular and widely used all over the world. The home remedial ingredients provide assistance in killing germs and ensure growth of healthy nails once again.
- Soak your toes for 15 to 20 minutes in a mixture of one part vinegar to two part warm water. Vinegar curbs the growth of certain bacteria.
- Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic ingredient that fights against fungus and helps in treating toenail loss. You need to mix undiluted tea tree oil with few drops of olive oil and apply it on the affected area.
- You can even soak your feet in Listerine mouthwash that comprises of powerful antiseptic compounds and alcohols like salicylate thymol and euchalyptol.
- The mixture of apple cider vinegar and warm water is also an effective home remedy. Soak your feet for 15-20 minutes and then dry it completely.
- Apply the mixture of tea tree oil and lavender oil 3-4 times a day on a regular basis.
- If you are not comfortable with self treatment at home, you can opt for the anti fungal drugs. The three most notables are-
- Oral medication is also prescribed in the treatment of toenail loss.
- Laser treatment is the new and advanced method that is widely used today. The treatment involves the use of a laser light that destroys the fungus in the nail bed.
Are you depressed with your toenail falling off? Relax! This is not a fatal condition but can lead to serious complications if you don’t seek medical attention. True, it looks ugly and you get embarrassed but please don’t confine yourself from visiting the doctor. If you are suffering from toenail fungus and the loss of toenails, it is essential that you explore your options among the many different remedies. Just imagine how embarrassing it can be if you appear with discolored, foul smelling, falling off nails when you are visiting your friend’s house! Maintain hygiene and go for the prescribed treatment options!